Nov 28, 2015

God!

He really is amazing...

Someday, before I die or before He comes, this missionary will learn (perhaps) to not fight against the urgings of the Holy Ghost.


First night of a well-advertised evangelistic campaign in a city on the North-central coast. All I was able to think about all day in preparation was a simple thought about Zacchaeus: "When God Turns the Tables." Zacchaeus (whose name means "pure" or "just" - though he was neither) goes to "see Jesus who he was" (Lu. 19:3). He didn't go to ask for anything, to converse about anything...he just wanted to oberve; what did Jesus look like?

Zacchaeus, the tax collector, the financial guy. He wasn't expecting anything – but Jesus turned the tables on him. For, though Zacchaeus had only gone to see who Jesus was, Jesus had gone to Jericho to see Zacchaeus - and to stay in his house. And when Zacchaeus let Jesus in his house...everything changed.

But it didn't seem to fit tonight...very small crowd...didn't seem to be any visitors except one. Time to start scrambling for something more appropriate. Probably should go this other direction tonight...maybe I should have prepared more thoroughly. Finally, at the last minute, a decision to stick with the plan, no matter what - because the really was what had been felt all day.

Then...they walked in. Stayed. Prayed.

I didn't know it till afterward, but the husband is a bank executive who lives in Lima. His son has just been diagnosed with cancer. They were visiting friends, and decided to come to church with them...just to see.

Financial guy...Zacchaeus. And God turned the tables on him and stopped under his tree.

The rest of the story remains to be seen...but they were some of the first to "come down" to the altar, and they returned to Lima tonight with our church address, a touch from God, and a stated desire for more. And a hope for healing.

GOD! He's amazing...and I love Him. I love seeing the lengths to which He will go to reach for somebody.

And I love being a missionary, out among the Zacchaeuses...and watching the Lord stop under their tree. AND witnessing the transformation when they invite him past their front door and into their home...where they live.

By the way...have you let Him in there? Or are you afraid He might advise some changes - or even (dare I say) invite you out of your home and into a lost world that needs to hear?

Just wondering.  :-)





9 comments:

  1. Prayed for you yesterday regarding that service (and all that transpires in the evangelistic campaign)—I'm thankful that you listened to the Holy Ghost. We all go through those struggles, listening for the mind of God for a service. I believe that He wants it that way. There is nothing more important than following His leading.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those prayers definitely made a difference - thanks!

      Delete
  2. That is great Bro. Nix. God for sure knows how to give us the right word at the right time. I had a similar situation at Lighthouse Apostolic last Wed. evening. Pastor Roach had asked me to preach the Word and God was dealing with me to encourage the parents and familys of backsliders. I almost went to another message that I had notes for, however, felt God putting it on me for the original. A man of God had walked in before service that I had never met. Pastor told me the message was what was needed. I was informed later that man of God has two backslidden children. God is so great! We love and miss you Brother! Praying for Peru and the Nix's. -Brother Tarpley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for praying! God is, indeed, good - and His mercy is both enduring and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how God works...timing! Thank the Lord you obeyed His urging, we just never know who or what great need is walking in through the door. Awesome Post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to share something amazing that happened today...my father of 83 yrs old went down in that watery grave in Jesus Name! I have danced all day...haven't stopped thanking God! I have been waiting on this day for many years...God answers prayer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is WONDERFUL news!! Thank God for His faithfulness...and His mercy! Rejoicing with you.

      Delete
    2. My faith is simple...I just believe God can do anything!

      Delete